Author Sybil Barkley-Staples

Sybil Barkley-Staples is the author of two fiction novels. She'll Learn was published in November 2004 by Writers & Poets. Candy for My Soul published by JumpSis Press LLC.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

The 2008 Oscar Wrap-up

I'm a huge movie fan, and for those that truly know me know that I love to watch the Oscars. I'm not so fanatic that I throw Oscar parties or anything like that, but my mom and circle of friends call each other back and forth during the red carpet and show to swap likes and dislikes. The show is usually really long and drawn out, but this year it seemed to be more subtle and flowed with a new found ease.

I give credit to John Stewart for his laid back demeanor and jokes at the cost of the stars, they helped keep the show moving right along. I got a kick out of the baby award, but they left off Halle from the list. I love that the producers and the host decided to give another chance to the lady in the duet who'd won for best song. The clothes and glamour were at a modest level this year, no one was the greatest and no one was really that bad. I am too upset that Kojo on ET gave Jennifer Hudson the Worst dressed of the evening. Whatever, I thought she looked good. My favorite of the evening was Jennifer Garner's dress, very classy.

Being that it was the 80th academy awards ceremony I can understand, an agree, that a little celebration and more homage than average is in order. The many montages were pretty nice but it was so obvious that the many times that Whoopi hosted the event were left out. WTF? I loved Billy Crystal as the host, but enjoyed Whoopi just that much more.

On a good note, it was great to see the 11-year-old girl from Georgia do her thang during the Best Song performance. She has a great voice at such a young age. What a plug for the Nintendo Wii System, this was subliminal advertisement at its finest!

Sorry, Ruby Dee....I was pulling for you.

2 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger Yasmin said...

I am too upset that Kojo on ET gave Jennifer Hudson the Worst dressed of the evening.

I must agree I didn't care for her gown either and didn't find it very flattering. It looked like a nightgown to me...but if her objective was to accentuate her breasts then the gown worked.

 
At 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I boycotted watching the Oscars this year because The Great Debaters didn't get nominated for an award (see one of my blog posts for more), but anyway, I did see the pictures from the red carpet. I didn't like J Hudson's dress either. She could have worn a more complimentary dress for her body. I was pulling for Ruby Dee to win.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home